by Siying Chen
A map tool for dining at Chinese restaurants in Columbus, Ohio.
Motivation and Objectives
Create a web application to provide information about Chinese restaurants in Columbus, Ohio, which includes the following content:
- A map showing the location of resteraunt
- Popup windows showing information about the restaurants, like addresses, contact numbers, cuisine types, recommended dishes, price ranges
- Create links
- Menu links
In my experience, many of my friends (a considerable proportion) always order food to go instead of dining at these restaurants, and sometimes they are in a rush or just do not want to waste time waiting for food, so they would like to order food by phone call in advance. If I could provide a menu link on the web, it might be a convenience for such clients.
- Yelp links
Create a query form to enable users to acquire restaurants that meet their preference
- Preferred cuisine types
- Preferred dishes
- Price range
- Use Leaflet APIs to display and customize the application
- Use Esri World Street Map as the base map
- Create a GeoJSON feature collection to represent restaurants
Spatial information (like coordinates) will be represented by "geometry", while non-spatial information will be represented by "properties".
- Create a query form and use Leaflet "filter" and GeoJson "properties" to achieve the algorithm
- Yelp is used to attain most of basic information about the restaurants, like addresses and phone numbers.
- I visited most of Chinese restaurants in Columbus to prepare the other group of first-hand data that might not be available on line, like menus.These data are store as the form of photos.
- For all the locatioinal information (like latitudes and longitudes), I used the "What's there" function in Google Maps to transfer addresses to coordinates.
Final Results (What have been done in this project)
- The web application is functional and practical, which means that it could provide accurate and useful dining or other related information.
- The query form is operable, which means that users could find their preferred restaurants by setting single or multiple preference.
- The web application is designed in an elegant and nice-looking way. The icons is displayed as "bowls" and the popup windows is customized.
Self-assessment (what could be improved in this project)
- I only collected data about 19 restaurants, therefore sometimes user might only get one or two restaurants on the map after setting their preference.
This document is last updated on .